Today I am sharing an exercise I finally did in the past week. It has been on my list of things to do for nearly two years now, but it always felt too hard.
It seemed like something outside of my reach. However, in my own growth and exploration I found it had more to do with my own beliefs and expectations around actually voicing what I want to create for myself. The belief that wanting things for myself and actually saying them or writing them down was selfish when my life is so wonderful. How could I even ask for more? The nerve!!!
So in this exercise, the me of the future writes a letter to me in the present.
She is exactly where I want to be in my life and my business. (Do I even know where that is?)
What advice would she give me?
What would she tell me to stop doing?
What would she tell me to start doing?
What else would she tell me?
The idea was to set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes and just write, even if you start with “I am not sure what my future self would say – what does she want me to know?” (and I DID start with just that!!!)
And so I began. And when the timer went off after 10 minutes I found I had more to write….. over 10 minutes more. What came out was more bullet points than a formal letter per se.
So for today I share with you what my “Future Self” said to me. Take it for what it’s worth.
For me, it is priceless!!!
A Letter From My Future Self – August 23, 2022
- You should know that this whole journey was never as important as you thought it was.
- It was only a small piece about the business itself and so much more about the person you become in the process.
- Lighten up on the “shoulds” you hold so tightly. Those are only reflections of the expectations imposed by your old habits and thought patterns and other people who think they know what is best for you.
- Stop avoiding looking inward and trusting yourself. You have more intuition and wisdom than you give yourself credit for. Develop the relationship with yourself right where you are and continue to stretch yourself – not because you need fixing but just to show yourself what is possible for you.
- Develop your relationship with your Heavenly Father. He has a plan for you & He knows you and all that you desire. As you develop that relationship you will be less afraid to ask Him what He wants for you and tell Him the things you want for yourself. He is a giver of gifts and wants to help you achieve your righteous desires.
- Remember that while it is not about getting more money, it is about money. Money allows you more freedom; Money allows you to serve more generously; Money allows you to give more freely; Money allows you to help in new and different ways that you didn’t know before.
- Be wise with your money but don’t be too concerned about it. Money is a tool that moves your work forward to bless your life and the lives of your family and those around you.
- The business “we” created is to support our life and the things we most value, not the other way around. Be mindful of the balance of work and life. If one must overpower the other, CHOOSE LIFE. You spent too many years choosing work out of fear and lack.
- You have been so blessed in your life. Remember those blessings and the blessings that will continue to come. Be grateful for where you are. Be present in the moment.
- Remember that life does not have to be “either/or”, “black or white”, it can be “and/both”! You can be grateful for the present AND continue to learn and grow and desire more. You can hold both of those thoughts at the same time.
- Remember that not everything your brain offers you is helpful, useful or kind. Be discriminating with the things you choose to believe.
- Have fun and be willing to be bad! That’s how we got so good at the things we do well now.
- Surround yourself with those who believe in you and your plan. And remember that their support, while nice, is nowhere near as important as the support you give yourself.
I’m Michelle. I am learning how to minimize my overwhelm, perfectionism, and people-pleasing and I am ready to help you do the same. I’m a certified Life Coach and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Come with me and learn how.
- Don’t forget that your supporters include more than just the people here on earth. You have so many loved ones who are cheering you on and offering support from the other side of the veil.
- Allow your brain to be your brain! You don’t need to become someone else. You don’t need to do what they do or say what they say. Trust your own voice and your own ideas even if they take longer than you think they should to develop. Just keep moving forward and do the “next right thing”.
- Stop needing to know all the “how” and realize that you know enough to move forward. You know enough– You are enough– and you have something of value to offer.
- You are NOT too old!!! It is NOT too late!! There is plenty of time and no need to rush.
- Take the time to write and empty your brain. Sort through the tangle and the weeds and cultivate a garden that will bear fruit long into the future. You have the skills. You have the discipline. All you need to do is keep doing the small things.
- Trust yourself….Trust God…..Listen…..Be still!!! Take your time.
- Love yourself and your family all along the way.
- Have fun and create the life we always knew we would have!!
- You cannot fail because you win just for being willing to try.
Now I get the chance to live into that future self. I don’t know when in the future it will be but honestly, I don’t need to know that. I get to trust myself, believe in myself, and love myself all the way there.
It is, as always, a work in progress. Not because where I am is wrong. But really just for fun!!! I wonder what is possible? What does that future look like really? How do I spend my time and energy there?
All things to discover in time!! It really is a real-life “Choose Your Own Adventure”! And the adventure is my life!!
If you would like someone to help you discover your “Future Self” all you have to do is “Contact Me” and send me a quick email. If you prefer, you can “Schedule a Consult” for a free zoom session to discuss what you want to work towards and how to get started.
And as always…..Remember…..It’s ALL good!!